Friday 20 August 2010

Potatoes Dauphenoise With Ham - Nina Style

I had far too many potatoes in the house courtesy of my Ma with her organic allotment so I came up with this recipie in my head:
  1. 2lb potatoes
  2. Thick off cuts of ham, or gammon, or bacon - a generous half a pound
  3. Tin of cut green beans
  4. Chicken soup
  5. Cornflour, or 2 tblspoons of normal flour (for thickening)
  6. Half a pint of milk (any variety)
  7. 3/4 lb of very strong cheddar (I use Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar)

Half a sliced onion to garnish

Fresh Dorset Naga Chilli (if you like it hot)

Garlic Bread



I used a food processor to grate the potatoes as I couldn't be arsed to grate them by hand.

Grate the tatoes, add pre cooked ham/bacon/gammon and the tin of sliced green beans.

In a saucepan, heat the chicken soup gently, meanwhile mix cornflour and milk into a paste then dilute with half a pint of milk with a whisk, add to soup to thicken in out. Grate the cheese and whisk in - careful - never let a sauce boil!!

Stick this mix in with the potatoes etc, grate extra cheese on top, add sliced onion (and chilli if you are like me) and whack in the oven for about 25 mins on Gas 6 (near the top), the last 12 mins add the garlic bread so everything is cooked at once.

Eat immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment